Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Mighty 'Booch'

I got my first batch of kombucha started! The postman delivered my scoby yesterday afternoon, a day sooner from when I thought it'd get here. I spent the afternoon going over the whole process, reading multiple websites and blogs and got started.

First Batch of Kombucha

On Monday I ran through the shops, trying to find a big enough glass jar for the tea to ferment in, but didn't have much luck. I settled on a jar with a volume of 2,5L (83 fl oz) that I found in a shop for interior decoration & design. It came without a lid but that's okay, I don't really need one for this. I am glad I bought it then or else I wouldn't have been able to put the scoby to good use yesterday, but I guess I'll have to look for a larger jar eventually. I don't want to spend too much money on it though.. Any tips on where I might find one for cheap? I also got these nice swing top bottles for when the tea is ready to be bottled. They sell this kind of bottle online, but it's usually cheaper to buy a six pack of beer and so that's what I did. I really like the blue 'cork' and the red rubber ring.

First Batch of Kombucha

Here's the jar, sitting on a table in our storage/radiator room. Let's hope the booch will flourish in this environment, I'd rather not spend money on one of those heating plates that some folks use.

Below is a photo of the batch after one day. I think both the scoby and the tea are doing alright. I can see that things are happening inside, but nothing too exciting yet.

First Batch of Kombucha

So, I guess I'll do another post on kombucha after the batch is ready for harvest. I'm pretty excited, but I could use some patience heh!

Do any of you like kombucha? What's your favourite flavour or do you like it best plain? Do you make your own? Any tips on making it at home?
I'd love to hear your thoughts about it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment