Kombucha at Day 4
As you can see there's a lot of carbonation going on, lots of bubbles under the scoby (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast, a.k.a. that gross white thing). The baby scoby is already 5mm thick and has taken the shape and width of the glass jar. It seems to be doing very well so far, yay. I wonder how much thicker it's going to grow (we're at day 4 out of approximately seven to eight days of fermentation.). There's some visible yeast under the scoby and in the tea itself. The tea smells nice and a little vinegary. Overall it all seems to be going according to plan, very exciting! :)
Anyway, on to my Saturday round up!
VEGAN MOFO FAVOURITES: WEEK 4
• Zucchini Corn Pancakes (via EatPure)
I made these a couple of days ago and LOVED them! Jeni from HeathenVegan blogged about them and I couldn't resist and made them for dinner one night, the coconut milk added an interesting touch.
• Tips for New Vegans and/or Raw Foodies (via BittOfRaw)
I thought this was so informative and well thought out. I wish someone would've linked me to a post like this when I was new to veganism.
• T is for Thyme Bread (via TahiniToo)
Thyme is awesome! It is my favourite herb at the moment and those flat breads look scrumptious!
• Candied Orange Peel (via BreadWithoutButter)
Oooh pretty! Making this as soon as I can get my hands on some organic oranges.
• Cherry Bakewells (via Tea & Sympatico)
Cute and classy looking mini tarts from England, nom. :)
• Coconut Macaroons / Kokosmakronen (via SeitanIsMyMotor)
A German Christmas cookie classic with grated coconut. This cinnamon swirl bread looks great too!
• Königsberger Klopse (via Juu's GermanKitchen)
I fricking loved these as a child! 'Meatballs' with capers in a white sauce, usually served with potatoes.
• Simple Cinnamon Berry Compote (via MusingsFromTheFishbowl)
You can't go wrong with compote. Good on oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, pudding, cake.. Good on everything!
• Walnut Spätzle (via TisiGoesVegan)
A classic Swabian noodle dish, super tasty. Watch the video and be amazed! Check out these cookies too: Spitzbuam.
• Swedish Lussekatter (Sweet Safron Buns) (via Seglare)
How cool is this? I have to make this asap!
• Yakitori (via GoVeganMeow!)
Japanese 'chicken' skewers. Bring out the grill (...next year that is)!